Sunday, February 9, 2014

Three Pictures for Hat Shop in a Box

A Tale of Two Scarves
and a Wedding
Hat Shop in a Box, my Open Studio, wherein I'll exhibit new hats, beads and drawings, is just around the corner. I have everything ready because next week we will be traveling to Naples, Florida for a few days, to visit my sister, Susan, and her husband, Rick. It will be a very welcome change to enjoy the 80-degree weather on the Gulf coast.

HAT SHOP IN A BOX, February 22 and 23 from 1 to 5 will be held in our live/work space on the Lower East Side of New York City. Please email me for directions. Hope to see you.

Richard had the idea to look through our photo albums and display three photos for the Open Studio. Each one has a little story.
Richard weaving, 1962.
Richard liked to go to school. He has 4 degrees: a BFA from Layton School of Art in Milwaukee, a BS from the University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, an MS from the University of Wisconsin, Madison and an MFA from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. 

In 1962, just before he started teaching at Elmira College, where I met him, he was at UWM where he took a fibers course. He worked on this beautiful loom. 
 Richard was weaving this elegant scarf.

Richard and Carol
Our Wedding Photo by William Larson
Richard and I got married in 1970 in front of one of Richard's paintings in our loft at 39 North 10th Street in Philadelphia. We had two large floors for $40 a month. A justice of the peace married us, and we had about 9 guests, including my parents, my sister, Jeanne, and my brother, David. The other guests were John and Sandy Moore and William Larson. If there was anyone else there, I am drawing a blank. John taught painting at Tyler, and William taught photography. William took our wedding photographs.

I was wearing a gray, shirtwaist dress which was quite short, in the style of the day. I did not particularly like it, but I could not find something that I really did love. Perhaps this was before I had fully realized my fashion sense. Richard was wearing a pinstripe suit from John Wanamaker's department store. It was very beautiful.
 Carol sometime in the 70s.
We lived in Philadelphia from 1966 to 1985, when we moved to New York City. In the early 70s, I worked for W.B. Saunders, a medical publisher. I designed books. This was an interesting job because I learned typography inside and out. 

One summer day, Pennsylvania Hospital, founded by Benjamin Franklin, and the oldest hospital in the country, held a fair in Washington Square near the offices of W. B. Saunders. I went there on my lunch hour and bought the hat that I am wearing. A photographer for the hospital asked if he could take my picture, and I later got this copy from him. 

I am wearing a magenta blouse and a white canvas skirt with pockets edged in brown leather. I am carrying a green canvas bag from a marine supply company in the neighborhood. Around my neck, I have knotted a silk scarf which was a present from my husband, Richard. 

Richard purchased this Italian silk scarf for me
at the wonderful, family-owned department store,
Strawbridge & Clothier on Market Street in Philadelphia.

We are off to Naples, Florida for a little vacation, then I hope to see you at my Open Studio, HAT SHOP A BOX!!!!

À BIENTÔT!


2 comments:

  1. Carol, what a wonderfully romantic story, just in time for Valentine's Day. Loved seeing your wedding photo and other photos of you and Richard. You remain a productive, artistic and lovely couple -- what more could one ask? See you soon.
    Jean & Valerie

    ReplyDelete